Updated: Oct 24, 2021
What is Rosemary Oil?
Rosemary oil is the extract gotten from Rosemary, a culinary and healing herb. For centuries, people have used it as medicine and food for its wealth of nutrients.
You can find this Rosemary extract as an essential oil over the counter for treating different health issues, but many people are not aware of its hair benefits.
So, what exactly does Rosemary oil offer your hair?
Benefits of Rosemary Oil for Hair
1. Hair growth: Rosemary Oil has been found to stimulate blood circulation to the scalp, thereby promoting hair growth.
2. Anti-inflammation: This oil from the Rosemary herb has anti-inflammatory properties, which serve to keep the hair follicles itch-free and nourished.
3. Preventing hair loss: Since rosemary oil nourishes the follicles and strengthens circulation in the scalp, the hair never lacks blood supply. This is essential in preventing follicles from dying off, leading to hair loss.
4. Preventing early graying and dandruff: Rosemary essential oil also unclogs hair follicles, thus preventing dandruff. Typically, dead hair and skin cell buildup on the scalp can lead to premature graying, hair loss, and dandruff.
5. Hair sheen: As an essential oil, this rosemary herb extract helps moisturize the hair and scalp, preventing flaking and giving your hair a glossy, attractive glow.
Is there research backing these claims?
Researchers have discovered carnosic acid in rosemary oil. In one study, this acid was seen to heal tissue and nerve damage. This discovery suggests that rosemary oil may rejuvenate nerves in the scalp, consequently promoting hair growth and fighting hair loss. Without a doubt, rosemary oil is one product you want to include in your hair care regimen if you desire to grow longer hair.
How to apply Rosemary oil
There are different ways to use Rosemary. Let's have a look at some.
1. DIY Rosemary
You'll need the fresh rosemary plant for this.
Mash the herb with your hands to force out the oil.
Put the mashed Rosemary into a jar and dilute with a considerable amount of essential oil, such as olive oil, etc.
Cover the jar and leave it in a cool, dark place for about three weeks.
Your DIY rosemary oil is all set and ready for use! Use the mixture to wash your hair. That's all the wash you need; do not wash off the product with water or shampoo.
2. Rosemary rinse
To make a rosemary rinse:
Boil water, pour it inside a bowl, and add the rosemary herb to it
Leave for about 25 minutes and remove the leaves from the mixture. What you now have is a bowl of rosemary-infused water.
Use the mixture to wash your hair. Again, do not wash it off!